Magento 2.4.0 Preview
Magento 2.4.0 (Beta) was released on June 01, 2020. This version, i.e. Magento Open Source 2.4.0 and Magento Commerce 2.4.0, offer significant platform upgrades, substantial security changes, and measurable performance improvements. It resolves more than 100 new core code problems while adding 30 security enhancements. All told, the developers and community members solved 226 major GitHub issues. These community contributions range from minor clean-up of core code to significant enhancements in Inventory Management and GraphQL.
· Includes PHP 7.4 support and PHP 7.1 and 7.2 deprecated.
· Support for PHPUnitx and deprecation of PHPUnit6.5.
· MariaDB 10.4 support.
· Elasticsearch 7.x support.
· MySQL 8.0 support.
· Eliminated MySQL catalog search engine
· Migration of dependencies on Zend Framework to the Laminas project
· Eliminated the core integration of the Signifydfraud protection code.
· Eliminated the core Braintree module from the codebase.
Explore in detail about this at Platform Upgrades
· Improvements to customer data section invalidation logic
· Multiple optimizations to Redis performance.
· Improved caching of results of SQL queries to inventory tables.
Explore in detail about this at Performance Boosts
Enhancements in Infrastructure
Magento 2.4.0 includes a significant improvement in the Infrastructure.
· Eliminated core integration of third-party payment methods
· Support for partial-word search for Elasticsearch (new default search engine).
· Deprecation of the Web Set-Up Wizard.
· Composer update plugin.
Explore in detail about this at Infrastructure
Merchant Tool Enhancements
Adobe Stock Integration v2.0
Ability to license stock image previews from the Media Gallery. Merchants can now find any Adobe Stock preview image in the Media Gallery, which reduces the number of steps required to license stock preview image.
Magento Media Gallery
This replacement for the former Media Gallery offers a brand-new, searchable interface for Magento media assets. Administrators can now search, filter, and sort images up to 30x faster than they could in the earlier version of this feature. Merchants can use this tool to evaluate storefront image usage.
Inventory Management enhancements include support for in-store pickup and bundle product support
Check out the Inventory Management release notes here.
GraphQL enhancements include:
· pickupLocationsquery supports the Inventory In-store pickup feature
· categories query returns a list of categories that match a specified filter. This query differs from the categoryListquery in that it supports pagination.
· reorderItemsmutation allows a logged-in user to add all the products from a previous order into their cart.
Check out the detailed notes of GraphQL here.
Magento 2.4.0 supported PWA Studio 6.0.0 and 6.0.1.
Check out the detailed notes of PWA Studio here.
· Order Approval Workflow feature is now available for B2B
· Introduced Log in as customer feature which allows merchants to view the storefront on behalf of their customers
Check out the detailed notes of B2B here.
Magento Functional Testing Framework (MFTF)
MFTF v3.0.0 enhancements include below features:
· MFTF helpers, which can create custom actions outside of the test framework
· Schema updates for test entities
· Sub-folders in test modules
· Nested assertion syntax
· Static check that checks and reports references to deprecated test entities
Vendor-developed extension enhancements
Magento 2.4.0 release includes quality and UX improvements of Vendor-developed extension like dotdigital, Amazon Pay, Klarna, Vertex etc.
Check out the detailed notes of extension enhancement here.
Magento has fixed hundreds of issues in the core code.
· Can remove website and the website’s scope-specific configuration.
· Disabled the edit of the configuration settings in phpat admin.
· Effortless Magento installation with the predefined config at the php.
· Refactored the \Magento\Store\App\Config\Source\RuntimeConfigSource::getEntitiesto diminish the SHOW TABLE STATUS queries.
Check out the detailed notes of fixed issues here.
If you have any questions about the upcoming Magento Commerce 2.4.0 release, how to make the most of these new features, or upgrading to the latest version, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to help.